Friday, March 6, 2009

Holy Cow!!!

Today was probably the best day I've had in along time!!! I had my studio class, which is a class for music string majors, whether it be for performing or education. We talked about why we study music, and what music makes us feel.
My professor brought an article that was absolutely amazing!! (if you want to read it, just let me know) but one thing in the article said that"in ancient Greece, ... Music was seen as the study of reationships between invisible, internal, hidden objects ... Music has a way of finding the big, invisible moving pieces inside our hearts and souls and helping us figure out the position of things inside us."
One example he gave was after 9/11 one of the first things that happened was a concert in memory of those that died.
Music can slip beneath our conscious reality to get at what's really going on inside us the way a good therapist does. One piece he mentioned was Adagio for Strings and we as a class listened to it and I cried. This piece of music has the ability to crack your heart open like a walnut; it can make you cry over sadness you didn't know you had.
This particular link is the BBC orchestra playing on September 15, 2001 in honor of those who died.
You don't have to watch the video to feel the pain and sorrow that this song portrays.
and I know you're thinking "why would I want to be sad?" I'm not posting this because I'm sad, or because I want you to feel sad. I'm posting just to show how much music effects us. It can help us express emotions that sometimes cannot be said, or shown. . . just heard in the heart.

I encourage all of you to listen to it. It's a magnificent song! It totally made my day to feel the power of music!!! and THIS is why I want to study music.

1 comment:

Megan said...

BEAUTIFUL! THANKS FOR SHARING!!!