Friday, November 11, 2011

beautiful blessings and little regrets

Well we blessed Trey on Sunday and it was beautiful (one little regret is that I didn't get a picture with everyone who was in the circle-darn) but that wasn't the regret that I meant in the title so moving on. We'll have more pictures of the blessing later when I get them from my mom but here is one of my little guy :)

Next- Trey had his two month appointment. He has grown so much and I just love that he knows me and smiles at me. The doctor said everything was basically fine except that he's in the 3% for weight.......More on that later. And then Trey needed to get his shots. That was THE  HARDEST thing for me so far as a mom. I was on the verge of tears. Next time I think I'll make Ben take him, I just can't handle it.

Ben and I wanted to do something kinda unique with monthly pictures so we decided that we would take a picture with the same object every month to compare Trey's growth throughout the year. I know lots of people do that but we decided to be unique and use a rugby ball. (Ben really likes this idea) So here is month one and two :)


Now onto the regret part of the post. This is a little........um.......tmi maybe but here we go: when Trey was first born I had a REALLY hard time breastfeeding because I had flat nipples. So they had me use a nipple shield to help draw them out and they told me that I could eventually wean him from the nipple shield. Well I wish they would have told me that using the nipple shield could take a toll on my milk production and therefore on Trey's weight gain. But they didn't tell me that so I figured I could eventually wean Trey from it and it wasn't really a big deal on how soon because the most important thing is that he's getting milk.
Now........sad thing is that I'm kinda attached to it. It is just so easy to get Trey to latch on. So not only is Trey addicted but so am I. Now I did some research on helping Trey gain some weight and that's when I read about nipple shields effecting milk production. So now I'm really really motivated to wean him. And I guess the old ones that were made of latex you could just trim it down bit by bit but the new silicone ones have sharp edges when you cut them so I'm kinda sad I can't just do that.
But I just want all you breastfeeding moms (or soon to be moms) to know that if you are given a nipple shield, yes they do work to draw out the nipples but get rid of them ASAP :)
Just my little piece of advice :) and that's my only regret from the hospital and I know that as soon as I wean him from the shield he'll start gaining the weight that he needs. But I sure do love my little guy.

4 comments:

Rach said...

I almost used a shield, but eventually Aiden learned to latch on correctly. He was also in the very very low percentile for weight at his 2 month check up. We found out it was because he was nursing for so long at each feeding that he was burning more calories than he was taking in. No one told us that nursing for too long was a bad thing! We just thought he was a slow eater or eating a lot! I guess that's how it goes...learn as we go! It was sure fun to do your photoshoot. Such a beautiful family:)

haili hunter said...

Hey Tia!
I guess Corbin has an excuse to his weight, being 3 months early, but he's only in the 1% for his weight right now. So we can have little guys togther. Plus, the best things are always in small packages. ;)

The Stratton Family said...

So I am a total blog stalker now! :) I saw your blog link on your facebook. and I'm a sucker for blogs! Anyways you little boy is adorable! I love all his hair! :)

The Beatty Beehive said...

Love what you changed with your blog. No worries about the breastfeeding darlin'. Trey loves you so much. I can see it in the way he locks eyes with you, even when you aren't looking at him, he stares up at your face. You both will adjust fine and life will continue to be full of small little lessons that make us better mommies! I love you!