Friday, August 29, 2008

Official Tour Guide, conversationalist, and a freak!

I have just certified to give campus tours!!!!! YEAH!!!!! It was really stressing me out. You have to know about all the buildings and then on top of that try to make a "personal connection" with the person who is certifying you because that is what campus tours are all about. But the problem is this: the person who certified me had already certified about 15 people. So he'd heard all the stories, knows everything about everything, and is just plum-tuckered out of being personal. So I tried the best I could and luckily still passed =)

The first week of classes are over and I'm so happy. It's a little hard going back to school when I remember a really big celebration for finishing it. (hmm, could that have been graduation?) But it's really great. I love meeting new people. i guess you could say it's favorite subject.
Let me educate you all on how to make conversation on a college campus with someone you've never met before.
1. Say "Hi! I'm Tia" (they say their name) "Nice to meet you"
*these next questions could go in any order
-Where are you living?
-Where are you from?
-What's your major?
-Why did you come to this particular college?
*if really cute boy/girl you could ask:
-do you have a boy/girlfriend?

I haven't had the chance to ask that last question to anyone yet. but I'll let you know when that happens. It's so funny to realize that you can have about a half-hours worth of conversation with 3 people just from those questions and then go off on tangents from them.
I'm actually an undecided major right now and I heard the funniest thing the other day. Someone told me that the next time someone asked me my major i should tell them "exploratory studies" I laughed pretty hard. I actually said that to someone at lunch today and they nodded and said "oh that's cool" but they didn't get that it was undecided. So someone else at our table said, "That means undecided" it was funny and we laughed.

Speaking of laughing, I had a very embarrassing moment the other day. I was going to the bathroom before one of my next classes. I had the bathroom all to myself and I went to open the stall to get out, AND IT WOULDN'T OPEN!!!!! I was locked in a bathroom stall!!! I tried for 5 minutes to twist it open, but it wouldn't and I had a class I needed to be to.
I know you're all wondering what I did and yes....................I got down on my stomach and crawled (well more shimmied) out from under the stall. I was so embarrassed and no one was even in there. But while I was washing my hands moments after I had gotten up off the floor, another girl walked in. I broke out into this huge smile and almost started laughing.
But that is my first week of college. Can any of you top that?!!!!

2 comments:

Nathan, Mariann &Talon said...

Oh man that would have been so embarasing if the bathroom would have been full of people. I would have just stayed there until everyone was gone. :) College oh the days. Sounds like lots of fun brings back memeories.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time on the cruise ship while you were all waiting in line to get a family photo and I was locked in the bathroom stall. Unfortunately the bathroom was completely full of people. But it turned out to be a good thing because there was no shimming under the door on that one! You make me laugh!