Now for the story of this little guy's birth:
Wednesday June 5th 5am:
The labor and delivery nurse calls me and asks if I can be there around 6 to be induced. I had previously decided that waiting for this little guy to come on his own just might drive me crazy, so I went ahead and scheduled this induction. I hadn't slept well because I was nervous and my brain was going a million miles an hour. As we were driving over Ben was cracking jokes right and left, and being just annoying. As we pulled into the parking lot, I told him that I needed him to be a little more serious and stop joking around. (I can't remember but I think he answered me with some funny comment, and then said, "Okay, I'll be serious." or something like that.)
The nurse took us to a labor and delivery room and gave me a gown to change into. When I came out she was getting my IV ready and I told here that I want to try and do this naturally. You should have seen the look on her face. She looked at me like I was crazy. (Maybe I was) She said, "I'm glad you told me. We'll take you over to the other room with the tub." So we went into the other room and it had this huge tub! Yay! They hooked me up to monitors, checked my cervix and told me I was at a 4. And before I even had the IV in they said that I'd had a contraction. I hadn't even felt it. My mom then arrived and she was SO excited that I would be able to labor in the tub.
They got everything going in the IV around 6:30ish (maybe even after that). It wasn't long until I started feeling things pretty strong. I had to go sit on the toilet for awhile and then after that I told them I was done being in the bed. So they got me some wireless monitors and I was able to labor anyway I wanted. I knelt on the floor and leaned on the couch for a short while and then asked them to start filling up the tub. Now here is where it gets going!
According to my camera, I had just gotten into the tub at 8:30 when my mom took this picture.
(still smiling)
Things really started moving and really started hurting too. My mom was such a great coach and I'm SO GLAD she was there! Because my husband just couldn't handle it. (Ya know how they say that some people have a disorder where they laugh when they really want to cry? I think Ben has that.) I could hear Ben laughing/smiling. I told him that if he couldn't be serious then he had to get out. And after that I didn't say anything else because I was too focused. Later my mom told me that she just about slapped him with the rag she was using to cool me down with because he was laughing as I was going through contractions. (Men will never understand I guess)But anyway, they started getting really bad and I told my mom I wanted the epidural. The nurse tried to check me while I was in the tub and said I was at least an 8, but she couldn't quite feel the other side of the cervix. I told her to go call the epidural guy so that by the time I was out of the tub, I could get some relief. (I had to wait for some of the water to drain so they could get the door off. Stupid.) I then started feeling the urge to push and then it was all just a whirlwind!
They tried to coach me with my breathing so I could get to the bed. (I was yelling like a crazy woman.) I got to the bed and basically with 3 pushes he was out. Born at 9:26am.
The umbilical cord was too short to put him directly skin-to-skin so we waited a very short time, dad cut it, and I got to hold me little guy.
Still nameless when this picture was taken, but still so beautiful! 8lbs even and 20in long.
Daddy and his son
Aunt Naomi was trying to make it for delivery but just missed it by 5ish minutes. (so did my doctor)
My wonderful mother and her 2nd grandchild. I seriously couldn't have gone all natural without her!
I will post more about this later. My wee one is calling me. But up next is meeting his brother, and deciding on a name.







No comments:
Post a Comment