This past week we had quite a little scare with our sweet boy. He had developed a little cough and on Tuesday night I was debating on taking him to the doctor the next day.
Well Wednesday morning rolled around and Trey's cough had gotten really bad so we went in to see the doctor and around 10 in the morning is when they saw us. They started taking his vitals and when they took his oxygen level count, it was super low; around 80. So they went to go get some oxygen for him while the doctor listened to his lungs. While we were waiting for the oxygen, the doctor told me that we might have to take him to the hospital because it's easier to get oxygen for infants there and they would be able to monitor him. So we put some oxygen on this little guy (surprisingly he's still happy) and they take us to get his chest x-rayed.
At this point, I'm FREAKING out! He's my baby! I don't want to go to the hospital! Hospitals are kinda scary and if we have to go to the hospital then that means it's REALLY bad. Trey was fine with everything until I had to lay him on the table for the x-ray. I'm sure it was really cold and really hard and I had to hold him really still. We had to do two x-rays: one straight on and one to from the side.
Oh and then they wanted to draw some blood! And the lady who drew his blood basically got his blood everywhere but in the little vile thing. They poked his foot and he was just crying and crying. My poor baby. We head back to the room we were originally in (still on oxygen by the way) and then while they waited for lad results and the x-ray they wanted to give Trey a breathing treatment. Well, by this point he'd had enough so at first he didn't like it, but the little machine had a constant sound going that eventually put him to sleep while he finished the treatment. (basically this treatment turned medicine into a vapor so that when he inhaled it, it would help open his airways so they weren't so constricting.)
They came back and said that he probably had RSV and bronciolitis. RSV is the virus that caused the inflammation of the bronciols (which are the smallest "branches" of the lung. I'm sure if you looked it up, you could find more information on it) One good thing though is that after about 2 hours on the oxygen, his levels were back up to normal. I was SUPER relieved but at the same time nervous. They then taught me how to tell if he's having difficulty breathing and needing to go to the hospital.
I was really scared about his oxygen levels. That isn't exactly something that you can see with the naked eye. They did recommend going to the hospital Bronchiolitis clinic to have him suctioned. So they took him off the oxygen and away we went. We had been there for 2 and 1/2 hours!
Now of course my mind exaggerates all the terrible things that could happen, and I didn't know what "suctioning" was. In my mind it was some terrible type of surgery that he would have to put unconscious for or something. And I was all by myself. I was really missing my hubby. I tried to call him but he was not is a service zone. I called my brother-in-law to see if he could reach him. I tried to keep it together, but I basically started crying. I have to give myself credit though because throughout the whole morning I worked really hard at not crying and just at that moment, it all came whooshing out.
We got to the hospital and it wasn't that bad at all. They only bad part is they made me hold him down while they suctioned him. I cried. They stuck a small tube down his nose to get all the mucus out. Ben made it to hospital and was able to help me feel more at ease. The poor little guy slept quite a bit after that traumatic experience and it made his fever get pretty high as well. But he is improving so much everyday.
But I tell you what, this mama is ready for some much needed sleep! Every time he coughs at night he wakes up. But we'll have to work back to that. The humidifier is definitely helping.
Here's some pictures of our tough little man!
This was before all the x-rays and lab tests and such so he still a pretty happy little guy. Doesn't even know why all these people are paying attention to him.
Oh he was a tired little boy. So glad that he pulled through okay. And I'm so thankful that I had my mother's instinct turned "on" and we caught it before it was super super super scary!
1 comment:
That is so sad! Poor little guy! I hope you guys get feeling better. Having a sick baby is no fun! Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Post a Comment